Story: Pretending to sleep as Beowulf battles Grendel

The group of us lay still in the hall of Heorot. I could hear the other earls breathing deeply, fast asleep. I was awake, as I had been plagued with nightmares — I didn't want to go on this quest with Beowulf, but a handful of us younger earls were constantly being signed up for nonsense like this. I couldn't bear the thought of seeing Grendel in person, and those fears were creeping into my dreams.

As I tossed and turned, I noticed a great shadow in the window. I froze, terrified. As my eyes adjusted in the darkness, he came into view: Grendel. He swayed in the open window, his vinegary scent wafting into the room and souring my stomach.

I decided to wait it out. I shut my eyes and pretended to sleep, hoping Grendel would leave. I heard Beowulf's breathing quicken — thank God, he was awake.

Grendel ripped the door off its hinges and Beowulf rose to his feet. The door fell to the ground with a crash, but the other earls seemed to fall deeper and deeper asleep. I tried to keep myself from shaking, not wanting Grendel to notice me. Beowulf would have to handle this one on his own, I thought.

Their battle looked like a sort of silent dance — they lunged and clawed at one another, thrashing each other around the hall while the rest of the room slept. They struggled against each other until finally, I heard a scream and then a thud. Grendel dashed out of the hall, leaving a trail of blood and his arm behind.

Maybe this meant we were done with Grendel, I thought. Beowulf settled back onto his couch to rest, and I could finally exhale again. A few of the other earls rolled around in their sleep, totally unaware of what Beowulf and I had witnessed. I almost spoke up to thank Beowulf, but decided it was better not to tell him I was too afraid to help.

Author's note: This story focuses on Grendel's attack of Beowulf while he and the earls are sleeping in Heorot. In the original story, the other earls have a spell cast over them that helps them sleep through the attack, and Beowulf fights Grendel almost silently. In my retelling, one of the earls is awake during the attack, but pretends to sleep to stay alive and out of the fight.

Grendel looking mighty scary. Web source: Wikimedia Commons


Story source: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933).


Comments

  1. Hi Dana!
    I really enjoyed this story. It's interesting to see how one small change can change the plot line of the story as a whole. I think you did a great job of keeping the story full of detail and allowing readers to imagine the scene. The image you provide also just helps tie together the story. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana! What an interesting retelling! I love the Beowulf story in high school, so it was nice to revisit it with your story. How creative to tell it from the point of view of someone who is too scared to fight. I wonder if Beowulf ever found out that he could have had some help, although I guess Beowulf doesn't really need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there again, Dana!

    This was a really exciting and action packed short story! I am not entirely familiar with Beowulf, so some of this was a bit foreign to me. I like how you included a conflict and a quick resolution. You used great descriptive details to keep me interested in the story. I think you did an awesome job overall. I encourage you to keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dana!
    I am a fan of Beowulf and know the story pretty good. I like the change you made to have one of the earls awake for the fight. This gives another perspective of what happened during the battle. I bet it would have been hard to sleep through that, even with just the smell change in the room, let alone with air blowing in from the door. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts